You have, or will receive, a two page handout from Sebastopol Orthopaedics entitled: “TOTAL JOINT PATIENTS – HIPS, KNEES, SHOULDERS – Pre and Post Operative Instructions”. Please follow the timeline detailed in this handout to prepare for your surgery.
- Schedule your pre-op physical therapy as soon as possible. They will set you up with an exercise program to prepare you for surgery. The better your physical condition going into surgery, the easier your recovery will be.
- Call (707) 824-8018 to schedule.
Within 30 days of surgery
- Your surgeon may require clearances from:
- Primary Care Physician
- Please schedule these appointments as soon as possible
- Schedule your pre-op appointment with Sebastopol Orthopaedics – you will see the Palm Drive Hospital pre-op nurse (Janese Nank (707) 829-4346) immediately following.
Two weeks before surgery
- Attend your pre-op appointments
- with Sebastopol Orthopaedics
- and with the Palm Drive Hospital pre-op nurse (Janese Nank (707) 829-4346)
- Please bring all of your prescribed medications, vitamins, and supplements to both of these appointments.
Follow the instructions from your surgeon regarding medications that may need to be held. Typically these include:
- Blood thinners such as Coumadin or Plavix
- You may take Tylenol, Celebrex, Vicodin, or Norco as directed for pain control as needed.
Month before surgery
- Prepare your home (see handout).
- Arrange for a ride home from the hospital.
- Arrange for someone to stay with you for 1-2 weeks after surgery to help care for you.
- Fill post op prescriptions one week prior to surgery.
- Pack for the hospital (see handout).
Two days before surgery
- Take the first of three antiseptic showers (follow the instruction sheet given by the pre-op nurse).
- Do not shave the surgical extremity 48 hours prior to surgery.
- If there is any change in your physical condition (even a scratchy throat or skin abrasion), please call Sebastopol Orthopaedics – (707) 823-7602.
Day before surgery
- Do not drink or eat anything after midnight the night before your surgery – including gum, candy and water
- Follow pre-admission nurse’s instructions regarding which medications to take with a sip of water (before midnight – any medications you have not previously stopped may be taken)
Day of surgery
- Follow pre-admission nurse’s instructions regarding which medications to take with a sip of water.
- Leave your medications at home except inhalers and eye drops.
- Dress in light, loose clothing.
- Do not wear jewelry, hairspray or perfume.
- Leave your valuables at home.
- Check in at the hospital registration desk (Front Lobby).
- After checking in you will be directed to our OPSU to get ready for surgery.
- Your nurse will:
- Review your heath history.
- Take your vital signs.
- Start an IV.
- Teach you how to use the incentive spirometer.
- Review our pain scale.
- Prep your skin for surgery.
- You will meet and discuss your heath history with your anesthesiologist.
- You will meet your Circulating Nurse who will be responsible for your care while in the OR.
- You will be in the OR from 2-4 hours, depending on the procedure.
- Nurses will be checking vital signs, temperature and pain.
- You will be sleepy. Rest!
- If your surgeon orders a CPM (continuous passive motion) machine, it will be set up here.
- You will typically be in the recovery room 1-2 hours.
- Visitors are not allowed in recovery, they may visit you once you are in your room.